New Regulations in 2019 means you should update your Injury and Illness Prevention Plan ( IIPP or I2P2 ). In this Video ( with Transcript for reading ), Dr Ben Laverty III explains why you should update your IIPP, and what are some of the regulations that have changed recently, as well as requirements for your IIPP and your Emergency Action Plan ( EAP ).


IIPP, Injury & Illness Prevention Plan.That's in California, every other state, a federal state, it's called an I2P2. They didn't want to copy California, but it's still an Injury and Illness Prevention Program. Those must be reviewed at least once a year or when there are any regulatory changes. This year we have Violence in the Workplace that's a change, and back a little bit we have Prop 65 that's a change,  we have lactating women that are a change. We have got a lot of changes that are hitting us January 1st, 2019. Review your IIPP again for it's adequacy, early, like today for proper compliance.

Additionally, EAP, an Emergency Action Plan. Some people are saying to me, "Oh I've got an Emergency Action Plan, I've got a map and it shows everyone how to get out of the building". That's part of an Emergency Action Plan. You've got to do Fire, Flood, Earthquake, Medical Emergency, Violence in the Workplace which includes someone coming in as an Active Shooter, and also, Bomb Threats. So that should be looked at if you have any changes in your layout, so people know where to go, their mustering or gathering point, additionally cover those points I just mentioned.

IIPP's have to be available in the workplace. They have accepted those by the foreman, and sometimes they will accept them by having them available by the shop. With all the digital stuff going on, some have actually made that available to their employees on their smart phones, anytime they want.

Under Heat Illness Program, it has to be in the field the people are working at, and they'll give you four minutes to go get it.

The Emergency Action Plan, if it's available in the workplace, you're good to go, if it's with the foreman. And certainly there will be different emergency actions required for field personnel, as would be a person in an office or an urban setting in a 20 story building, certainly different. An EAP must cover every work location out there. However if you're in the field, it will say "in the field you will do this".

  • Don't leave until you check with a foreman.
  • If there is an earthquake stay away from high power lines.
  • If there is a flood go to high ground.
  • If there is a chemical release, unauthorized chemical release, go to high ground, and up wind, if possible.

If you are in an urban situation, where you're in the middle of a business facility, it will be different obviously. It will be, out this door, turn left, go to the outside door, go to the southeast corner, or whatever it is, depending on wind, and you will calculate that and make that decision beforehand so you can make sure who is in the building, because emergency responders will respond differently if they know the building is clear of all people.